WIN $2,500 FOR
to help pay for housing, books or tuition for
the upcoming Fall 2019 semester.
Check back on June 1 to vote for your favorite!
What is your responsibility towards ending homelessness?
We asked students to answer the question “What is your responsibility towards ending homelessness?”
Throughout the month of June, we’re asking the public to vote for their favorite essay and video combination and help us choose the 2 scholarship winners!
The winners will each receive $2,500 to help pay for a study abroad trip or pay the rent on their current place as long as it is spent on an education-related expense. In case you’re wondering, here are some examples of educational and non-educational expenses:
|A laptop for school work||A gaming computer|
|A study abroad trip||A trip to visit your boyfriend back home|
|Rent for an apartment near campus||Buying a foosball table for said apartment|
Read the official rules for more information.
TOP 10 REASONS TO APPLY
- 500 words is a whole lot shorter than the length of most scholarship essays.
- Being able to rent a sweet apartment is cooler than sharing a shoebox-sized dorm room.
- College is expensive these days.
- Use that iPhone for something besides selfies for once.
- Applying for a scholarship is a great excuse to get out of going shopping with your mom.
- If you win, you don’t have to use it on tuition. You could pay for a school trip, or put it towards your rent or security deposit.
- You can put “scholarship recipient” on your LinkedIn profile
- Winning feels good.
- You’re in college, which means you’re broke.
- What else are you going to do?
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
This is where things get interesting….
Step 1: You send us your finest 500-600 word essay.
Step 2: We put together a team of our smartest colleagues and determine 10 finalists.
Step 3: The 10 finalists will be asked to submit a 1-3 minute video to accompany their essays. Finalists will have 5 weeks to work on their videos.
Step 4: We open up voting to the public! The top 10 submissions will be shared on our website so the public can vote on the best essay/video combo. Rally your friends and family to get it together and vote for you once a day. You might even want to set your elderly relatives up with an email account so they can pitch in as well.
Step 5: Two lucky (and talented!) winners will be selected based on a combination of the judging criteria below and public voting results.
What are you judging my application on?
To determine the top 10 finalists, the essays will be judged based on the following criteria:
- 33% Relevance to the theme
- 33% Clarity of story or idea
- 33% Creativity
How are the winners chosen?
To determine the winners, we’ll be looking at these three things:
- 50% Number of votes
- 30% Relevance to the content of your essay
- 20% Creativity
But here’s a word to the wise: show us that you put some real thought into your application. We want to see that you’re thoughtful, creative, unique and putting some serious effort into your essay.
- February 19 – April 12 – Applications open
- April 13 – April 18 – Apartment Guide judging
- April 19 – Announcement of 10 finalists at www.apartmentguide.com/students/scholarship
- May 24 – Finalist videos due
- June 1 – July 1 – Public voting
- July 10 – Winners announced
- Must be at least 17 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen or otherwise legally residing in 1 of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia
- Must be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student at an accredited college or university for the Fall 2019 semester
- Must be pursuing an undergraduate education
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Contest is void where prohibited
- No purchase necessary
- All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. ET on April 12, 2019.
- Subject to official contest rules here
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Undergraduate degrees eligible for this scholarship include:
- Bachelor Degrees
- Associate Degrees
Students may be enrolled in a 2-year college, community college, 4-year college or university but may not be pursuing a graduate degree.
How many credit hours do I need to prove full-time enrollment?
To qualify as a full-time student, applicants must be pursuing at least 12 credit hours during the Fall 2019 semester.
How often can we vote?
Individuals can vote for applications every day but only once a day.
I’m an adult going back to school. Can I apply?
Students of any age are welcome to apply if they will be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate program for the Fall 2019 semester.
What should I know if I’m asked to make a video as one of the 10 finalists?
You don’t need to be a professional videographer and you don’t need to be a film major. That phone in your pocket and a creative vision are all you need to win this thing. Just make sure that everything in your video is yours to use. This means you’ll need to get permission from the artist to use most of the music you listen to and the videos you watch. So make sure you plan ahead. We recommend using it as an excuse to collaborate with your multi-talented friends!
If I win, are there limitations about how I can spend the scholarship award?
The scholarship award money may be spent on housing costs associated with attending college. This could be for a dorm room or residence near the school.
The award money may also be spent on fees that are directly related to pursuing your undergraduate education. This would include the following:
- Fees/requirements related to specific coursework like lab fees or required supplies such as paints or calculators
- Enrollment in a study abroad program
© 2019 RentPath, LLC. All rights reserved. All photos, videos, text and other content are the property of RentPath, Inc. APARTMENT GUIDE BLOG and the APARTMENT GUIDE Trade Dress are registered trademarks of RentPath, LLC. or its affiliates.
ApartmentGuide.com is part of the RentPath Network of Sites