Del Ray, Alexandria, VA
Did you know? The Del Ray neighborhood hosts year-round "First Thursday" events where a different street festival or celebration takes place on the first Thursday of every month.
Overview of Del Ray Alexandria
Del Ray blends artsy shops and eateries with the feel of a small town less than an hour from the nation's capital. The area boasts walkable and bike-friendly streets. Residents have easy access to public transportation that includes the Metro as well as city bus lines, regional rail transport and even water taxis. The community has been called "Well Ray" because of the large number of spas, gyms and other holistic health businesses that line its streets.
Best of Del Ray
- Best Frozen Treats: The Dairy Godmother, a locally owned ice cream boutique on Mount Vernon Avenue, offers old-fashioned custard and other frozen goodies.
- Best Live Music: The Birchmere, known as "America's Music Hall," hosts legends from the worlds of R and B, jazz, country and rock music.
- Best Indian Food: The Bombay Curry Company features traditional Indian food as well as many Indian dishes not found on typical menus.
- Best Coffee Shop: St Elmo's Coffee Pub, a local gathering place, features locally roasted coffee and artisan baked goods.
- Best Organic Shopping: Bon Vivant Café and Farm Market offers locally grown produce and grain-fed meats as well as its own café featuring offerings from local growers.
Top 5 Del Ray Adventures
- Potomac Riverboat Company: Go sailing on the Potomac River with a water taxi from the Potomac Riverboat Company's to the famous National Mall. You can then see some of the nation's best known memorials such as the monuments to Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson.
- King Street: Take a walking tour of Alexandria's King Street in Old Town, an area filled with cafes, boutiques and galleries.
- Mount Vernon: Step into the past with a visit to George Washington's Mount Vernon estate, which is now a museum and gift shop welcoming visitors from around the world.
- Waterfront Park: Picnic on the Potomac at Waterfront Park, one of Alexandria's many riverfront parks. You can bring the whole family for an afternoon of sports or just take a romantic stroll with someone special.
- The Torpedo Factory Art Center: Watch artists at work and sample their wares at The Torpedo Factory Art Center, which hosts a collection of galleries and studios.