Westwood, Los Angeles, CA
Did you know? While somewhat surprising for a high-end neighborhood like Westwood, Hugh Hefner's Playboy Mansion is notoriously located in the district's Holmby Hills area.
Overview of Westwood
With its upscale, village atmosphere and youthful university student vibe, Westwood is a comfortable neighborhood with plenty of amenities. It's home to UCLA, the Westwood Village shopping area, several high-rise commercial buildings, trendy eateries and captivating architecture from the 1920s. The neighborhood also includes the exclusive Holmby Hills area, once home to Walt Disney, Aaron Spelling, Barbra Streisand, Michael Jackson, Bradley Bell and Jeremy Renner. The area is known for its historic movie theaters and iconic architectural features, including the Spanish Mission-style spire of Village Theatre and the wraparound marquis of the Bruin Theatre.
Best of Westwood
Check out some of Westwood's finest offerings.
- Best Sweet Treats in Westwood: Look no further than the homemade ice cream sandwiches at Diddy Riese. With 10 different types of fresh-baked cookies and 12 premium ice cream flavors, these treats are always a bargain.
- Best Lazy Sunday Afternoons: Weekends in Westwood are fun, and the summertime Concert Series at Westwood Library is sublime. Enjoy the free live music.
- Best Weeknight Escape from Reality: With hilarious improv shows, plays and stand-up comedy sets, The Improv Space is pure escapism.
- Best Pre-Theatre Dinner Spot: The Glendon Bar & Kitchen has a friendly atmosphere, tasty food, and inexpensive prices to complement a night at the theater.
Top 5 Westwood Adventures
- Check out the Hammer Museum Founded by Occidental Petroleum Chairman and philanthropist, Dr. Armand Hammer, the museum is an exciting mix of Impressionist art, topical symposiums and traveling modern art exhibits.
- Enjoy a night out at the Geffen Playhouse The Geffen Playhouse is an intimate theatre place to see groundbreaking theatrical productions. Many of today's top actors can be seen in Geffen Playhouse productions.
- Re-live your college days at UCLA Ivy-covered buildings, bright minds and beautiful landscapes are front and center at UCLA's main campus. Take an official tour or just walk around to enjoy the friendly atmosphere, sculptures, botanical gardens and campus events.
- Explore the history and teachings at Westwood's Mormon Temple Visitors Center One of the country's largest temples, you'll find picturesque grounds, a genealogy library and a visitors' center.
- Take a turn to the macabre at Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery History buffs and celebrity-followers will enjoy roaming the grounds and looking for the famous grave markers of Marilyn Monroe, Ray Bradbury, and more.