Using a cleaning checklist like this one can help you keep an apartment tidy. You can post the checklist on a dry-erase board, laminate a paper copy to use over and over again, use a digital list, or print out a new one each week. The important thing is to have an easy reference to walk you step-by-step through what needs to be cleaned, wiped, vacuumed or scrubbed. So prepare to get your apartment cleaning down to a fine science!
There are certain chores that you’ll want to do daily to keep control of dirt and germs such as:
- Wash all dishes.
- Wipe up kitchen surfaces – stove, counters and sinks.
- Sweep and clean trouble spots on the floor.
Read more: How to Clean Kitchen Appliances
- Wipe up counters and clean the sink. (Disposable cleaning wipes make this fast!)
- Use another wipe on the toilet seat and base. Give the bowl a quick scrub with the toilet brush.
- Use a Swiffer on the floor to collect hair.
- Squeegee your shower right after use and/or use a shower spray such as Method Shower Spray to keep mildew and soap scum at bay.
Read more: How to Clean: Bathroom Hacks without Chemicals
- Make your bed.
- Put away clothes.
- Keep your nightstand and other dresser surfaces uncluttered.
- Clean the clutter off the sofa, and fluff pillows.
- Sweep up crumbs and dust bunnies with a hand-held vac.
- Create order on your coffee table and entertainment center surfaces by putting away books, DVDs, etc.
More help with cleaning your apartment:
Cheap Green Cleaning: The Only 5 Products You Need
Get Your Space Cleaned Up in a Hurry
Declutter Your Apartment: What’s OK to Throw Away
How to Clean Your Apartment Efficiently and Quickly
Green Tips for Natural Kitchen Cleaning
Weekly Chores — Don’t forget to:
Monthly Chores — It’s time to:
- Wipe down woodwork, baseboards, walls and tiles in kitchen, bathrooms and other high-traffic areas.
- Clean windows throughout your home.
- Dust window treatments.
- Clean inside appliances (don’t forget to empty out the toaster crumbs).
- Do a deep dusting—behind furniture, in ceiling corners, on ceiling fans and vents. Also vacuum upholstered furniture.
- Spot clean carpet.
That’s not so hard, right? With your handy cleaning checklist, your household chores will feel more manageable and you’ll enjoy the satisfaction of a systematic approach to cleaning. You can adjust this chore list to your liking, of course, but it offers good guidelines on keeping a spic-and-span apartment. This list is a good starting point for daily, weekly and monthly chores. What does your personalized list look like? Share it below!