Mold is a fungus that grows in places with lots of moisture. It can spread quickly and cause health problems and physical damage to homes and objects.
Mold can grow quickly and become a problem without you realizing it. The fungi can be black, green, orange, white or purple and may be mistaken for dirt or spilled food or drink. Mold can also have a mild odor and cause allergies to act up.
Mold lives off of moisture and grows quickly in warm, humid spots with little air movement.
A few common places at home where you might find mold are:
Preventing mold is much safer and less costly than letting it grow and trying to take care of it later. It can cause permanent damage to walls, tile grout and other things that are difficult and expensive to repair. The best ways to prevent mold are:
Mold may not be life-threatening, but it can cause sickness and discomfort. It can cause respiratory problems, leaving you wheezing and coughing. If it's not taken care of, mold may even cause lung infections in some people.
Do you have an idea for a topic you’d like to learn more about?