Plants are a beautiful part of nature, and you probably see all kinds of different plants in your own backyard.
But what you might not know is that there are many kinds of plants that can be dangerous, even toxic.
Some of these plants might look like an innocent houseplant, but in reality, they contain dangerous toxins that could harm you if you eat them or even touch them.
Depending on where you live, it's possible that you have more than one poisonous plant in your neighborhood. That's why it's important to learn about these plants so you can keep yourself safe from them.
Even though aloe plants look nice and you can use aloe vera to help make sunburn feel better, this plant can also be dangerous. If you eat it, aloe can cause stomach cramps and diarrhea.
This delicious fruit is popular in many recipes, but the apricot leaves, stems and seeds are highly toxic if you eat them and can cause you to stop breathing or go into a coma.
Colorful flowers and green leaves make this landscaping shrub a popular choice in the Southern part of the U.S. But if any part of an azalea is eaten, it can be seriously dangerous — it's a highly toxic plant.
This plant is one of the most dangerous on earth. Even a small amount of chewed leaf can kill an adult. Belladonna plants have bright green leaves and dark-colored berries.
You probably see this shrub in your neighbor's yard or even in your own backyard. But the leaves of the boxwood are highly poisonous if eaten and can cause nausea, dizziness and convulsions. If you touch the sap, it can also cause skin irritation.
These beautiful flowers are often found in bouquets at the local florist. But calla lily is highly toxic if eaten and can cause burning of the lips, tongue and throat. It's also harmful to pets.
You can find coleus in landscaping and in homes. The leaves can cause allergic reactions if they touch your skin, but in most cases, you'll just get a minor rash.
During springtime, you might see lots of daffodil flowers popping up. This lovely flower is only toxic if eaten in large quantities, but the bulbs, flowers and stems can also cause severe skin irritation, so always use gloves when handling them.
You've probably seen this huge plant in your neighborhood. The elephant ear can cause seriously dangerous side effects, like difficulty breathing, if its leaves are eaten.
With its climbing vines and dark green leaves, English ivy is a popular plant. This plant can cause severe skin irritation if you touch it, and if it's eaten, it can cause symptoms like convulsions, hallucinations and a burning throat.
This Australian plant has become popular in floral arrangements all over the world. The lovely green leaves of eucalyptus can cause redness, irritation and burning of the skin if you handle them too much.
The ficus plant is a popular plant in many office buildings and homes. Its side effects are mild, but touching the leaves can cause skin irritation, and it can also cause stomach problems in pets if they eat it.
You might see this colorful flowering plant in yards in your neighborhood. Be aware that even a small taste of foxglove can cause vomiting and diarrhea. If you eat a lot of this plant, it could even kill you.
This beautiful flowering plant has big, colorful flowers, but hydrangeas also contain high levels of cyanide, a type of poison that's very dangerous if you eat it.
Often grown on the side of the road and in mountainous regions, this flowering plant looks beautiful during spring. However, if any part of the mountain laurel is eaten, it can cause stomach problems, trouble breathing and even death.
With its colorful flowers and beautiful shape, oleander is often used as a landscaping plant. This plant is highly toxic to both humans and animals. Even if you only eat a small amount, you can get serious stomach cramps.
This bright red and green flowering plant is a popular Christmas plant. If you eat any of it, poinsettias can cause a skin rash and upset stomach in both children and pets.
Most people are familiar with this irritating plant that causes an awful rash and itching if you touch it. You can recognize poison ivy by its large green leaves in clusters of three.
You've probably heard of rhubarb pie, but you can only eat the stalk. The leaves of this bright red plant are very dangerous to eat and can cause burning of the mouth, confusion and even internal bleeding.
You may see this vine that grows light purple flowers throughout the South. It's very pretty, but if you eat wisteria, it can upset your stomach.