No matter how much you clean, there’s always something else that needs your attention. Whether it’s mopping floors, vacuuming up the evidence of your last snack, or scraping soap scum, cleaning your apartment can take up all of your time. But there’s no need to succumb to never-ending scrubbing and wiping. Test out these seven cleaning hacks to help speed things along.
1. Steam the Microwave
Some of the best cleaning tips involve microwave ovens – who would’ve thought? Caked on food and greasy splatters are a chore to clean off the walls of a microwave. Instead of committing to extended periods of scrubbing and wiping, fill a microwave-safe bowl with half water and half vinegar, set the timer for 5 minutes, and hit start. As the water heats up, the steam loosens that caked-on mess, so you can go right in after the microwave dings and easily wipe it up – no elbow grease required!
Don’t stress about getting it all done at once; it’s okay to clean in bits and spurts. Use the time you spend waiting around to finish up some simple cleans:
- Clean the kitchen sink and counters while you wait for the microwave to ding or the water to boil.
- Sweep the kitchen floor while the oven preheats, and load the dishwasher while you wait the last few minutes for your food to bake.
- In the bathroom, wipe down the mirrors while you swish the mouthwash around in your mouth, or even one handed while you brush your teeth. Expert tip: use newspaper for a streak- and lint-free shine.
- Don’t just stand around waiting for the bathtub to fill or the shower water to heat up. Use that time to wipe down the sink, clean the fixtures, and quickly run the brush around the toilet bowl during the time you’d usually spend checking your phone.
- Once you’re in the shower, don’t think the cleaning has to stop. Soap up, rinse off, and then attack those tiles with a squeegee.
3. Give the Shower Head the Night Off
Grab a plastic bag large enough to enclose your shower head. Check it for holes, and if it looks sturdy, grab a rubber band and a bottle of vinegar, too. Detach your shower head and place it in the plastic bag, then add enough vinegar to cover it. Finally, use the rubber band to secure the top of the bag. Your shower head will soak overnight, looking clean and fresh just in time for your morning shower!
4. Get Organized
Keep all of your cleaning products in one easily accessible place, so you won’t waste time hunting them down when it’s time to do chores. A hanging shoe organizer makes it easy to keep all those bottles, sprays, sponges, wipes, and brushes handy. Secure it inside a closet or pantry door, or even on the inside of the bathroom door for quick access. As for the trash bags, never hunt for a new one to line your trash can again. Store them in the bottom of your can, so each time you remove one, you can simply grab the next.
5. Banish the Pet Hair
All that pet hair becomes a huge, annoying mess to clean up, but we’ve got a hack you’ve probably never thought of before! Simply whip out your squeegee and run it over your pet’s favorite places, picking up cat and dog hair with very little effort.
6. Blend It Up
Yes, there are times when you need to take your blender apart or run it through the dishwasher, but there’s no need to do so each time you use it. For a quick and easy clean up, fill your blender with soapy water (just a drop of dish liquid will do). Then turn it on just as if you were mixing up your favorite smoothie. This only takes about 30 seconds, just make sure you don’t forget to rinse it thoroughly afterwards - soapy smoothies aren’t known to be the best flavor!
7. Clean up Funky Smells
Vinegar works wonders on many things that make your home smell unpleasant. If lingering cooking smells are the problem, leave a bowl of vinegar out overnight to banish them. Spray it on counter tops and appliances to naturally deodorize them. You can even run it through the dishwasher to get rid of lingering odors.
Apartment Guide is your go-to source, whether you’re looking to relocate or just searching for ways to make apartment living easier. Visit Apartment Guide today to find the apartment of your dreams! And don’t forget to share your cleaning hacks with us on Facebook and Twitter!