How Your Apartment Can Help You Lose Weight
A new year means a healthy new you, right? One of the most popular New Year’s resolutions is to lose weight, but like so many pledges that people make to themselves when the calendar turns to January, those weight-loss goals often are abandoned in favor of the couch potato lifestyle.
It’s hard to commit to going to the gym – while it may help you keep your goals, it also costs you time and money. So if you’re really serious about losing weight this year, why not use the tools already at your disposal? Your apartment can help you achieve the healthy new you that you’re after this year – and most of these tips won’t cost you a dime.
1. Take the stairs.
Sure, it’s tempting to use the elevator if you don’t live on the first floor. But taking the steps is an easy way to get a little exercise into your day, and it’s often faster than waiting for the lift. Even if you’ve got a carload of groceries that require multiple trips to get everything inside your apartment, that’s more exercise you’re getting as a result. Did you know that taking the stairs whenever possible was one of Bruce Lee’s core fitness tips? He also recommended purposely parking your car far away from your destination so you have to walk further, and standing on one foot to improve your balance as often as possible.
- More ideas for your fitness routine: 10 Ways to Be Healthier
2. Use the fitness center. Many apartment communities come with their own fitness centers, and plenty of them offer all the equipment you need to get in shape. Plus, the cost of the center is already built into your rent, so why not take advantage of it? It’s cheaper and closer to your place than the gym, and you’re more likely to get your daily dose of cardio if you make it easy on yourself to get there.
- See all our tips for being healthy in your apartment.
3. Walk laps around your building. One of the easiest ways to get into a fitness routine is to take a walk every day. If there’s a park near your place, you could go there – or just venture outside your home and stroll around your apartment community. You won’t have to worry about traffic and you might meet some of your neighbors if it’s a nice day. If you’re really serious about it, talk to your landlord about starting a walking group, where neighbors meet every evening for a healthy stroll together.
- How to find the right type of activity: Which Kinds of Exercise are Right for You?
4. Stock your cabinets with healthy food. Many apartments have small kitchens, which is perfect if you’re on a diet. Less cabinet space means less room to stuff them with junk food. This will require some self-control when you go grocery shopping, but try your best to keep only healthy food at home, and then you won’t be tempted to eat junk.
- More ways to make your home a healthy place: How to Set Up a Healthy Apartment
5. Do some at-home exercises. Thanks to Netflix, YouTube and other streaming sites, there are countless ways to exercise without leaving your own living room. Have you heard of the one-song workout trend? You can squeeze an entire workout in the time it takes you to listen to one song – perfect for the days you just don’t have time for a long workout. And there are endless videos that’ll guide you in aerobics, yoga, pilates or any other form of exercise.
- More at-home workout ideas: 6 Ways to Get Fit in Your Apartment
The new you isn’t far off! How will you use your apartment to help you achieve your goals?
Photo credits: Shutterstock / Blinka, Ivan Smuk