Wine and beer tasting parties are fun ways to explore new spirits in the company of fine friends. Engage the minds and enjoy the opinions of participants when you host your own event.
Grab your best buds and find a few interesting bottles. Then use these tips to host a great tasting party in your apartment.
- Take a head count. It’s always nice to know how many folks are coming to a party so you can be prepared with enough food, drinks and space to accommodate everyone. Party planners suggest sending out written invitations four weeks in advance of the party, with digital invites following up two weeks in advance.
- Make it BYOB. Feel free to provide some of the alcohol, but don’t be shy about asking friends to make it a potluck-style wine or beer tasting. Set a price point and ask friends to each bring a bottle. There are plenty of great, inexpensive options to try out. This way, you don’t have to break the bank buying alcohol, and you ensure you won’t run out. You might even ask each party-goer to talk a little about the bottle they’ve brought.
- Do a blind tasting. Another approach to make things interesting is with a blind wine or beer tasting. Set up a tasting room and test your guests’ palates to see who can identify the notes in different wines or identify styles of beer. You can even make a game out of it – the loser has to buy more!
- Provide the tools. Print rating sheets and offer pencils so guests can keep track of their favorite drinks. When the party’s over, you can compile and email a list of the most popular choices of the night.
- Feed the crowd. When there’s booze, people need munchies. Try complementing the craft beers or wines with light fare like fruit, cheese, chips and finger sandwiches. Choose small items that party guests can pop into their mouths easily without getting too messy.
- Offer food pairings. Make things interesting for the foodies at the party by providing food that pairs well with wine or beer. Make it a true culinary experience that allows guests to expand their palates in more than one way.
- Decorate. No apartment party’s complete without the decorations. Work with the wine or beer tasting theme to come up with decor. You might make beer magnets or coasters. Or try something fun with creative recycled bottles
There are so many craft beers and wine varieties – not all expensive – out there to consider. Each participant can enjoy trying out flavors that are new and interesting. And these are just a few suggestions to get you started.
Don’t forget to have designated drivers or the number of a good taxi company handy – it’s the responsible thing to do when you’re having so much fun!
Photo Credit: Shutterstock / auremar