If you’ve received an invitation to celebrate a friend’s or family member’s hot new space, you simply must bring something to the host to show how much you appreciate the new digs. Ten ideas for the perfect housewarming gift are listed below – and the right one may secure you a spot on the next party invite list, when they try out what you gave them.
1. Wine and accessories – Take the new resident a bottle or two of their favorite wine (find out if they like red, white or rose’), and pair it with either a great assortment of cheese and water crackers, a cheese tray (around $15), a set of cool bottle stoppers, or a corkscrew.
2. Cooking basket – Give the gift of making a meal yourself with a basket filled with dried pasta, a pot, colander, recipe for the pasta you included and a pasta-complementary cheese.
- See all our posts on making the most of your apartment kitchen!
3. Monogrammed gift – Purchase a door mat with the recipient’s last name in a pretty font, or buy a throw pillow with the recipient’s last name initial in script. You could also monogram a metal key holder.
4. Something green – Give the housewarming host something they can plant and enjoy in their new home, such as a small indoor plant that won’t take up too much space in his or her new place. If they plan to grow a container garden on a balcony, you might get them an attractive pot, some vegetable seeds, or a book about gardening.
5. High-end toiletries – Everyone needs liquid soap for the kitchen and bathroom. Go beyond grocery store brands and purchase a set of luxury kitchen counter spray, dish soap, hand lotion and hand soap from a high-end place like Crate and Barrel or Williams-Sonoma.
6. Luxury candles – If your friend is earth-conscious, purchase a few soy candles in a light to moderate scent. Or, pick up a few aesthetically pleasing and wonderfully scented candles from Bath and Body Works or Yankee Candle. Expect to spend $10-$20 per candle.
7. Outdoor décor – Whether the new resident has an apartment, a townhouse or a condo, they’ll need planters and décor for their balcony or patio. A beautiful, light-catching hummingbird feeder in a bright color would make a great present. Cute wind chimes might also be something they’d like.
8. Entertaining supplies – You probably don’t want to bring wine glasses, as the new resident may already have a matching set, but other dishes may be just what they want. A chip and dip set goes with any décor, and a carafe can serve as a wine decanter and piece of interest on a dining room shelf. Also, everyone can use an eco-friendly wooden salad bowl and matching servers.
9. Get playful – Encourage your friend to invite you back over for game night when you give him or her the gift of games in some combination of Monopoly, Twister, Clue, Pictionary, Scrabble, Scene It! or Yahtzee. Or, opt for a poker chips set and playing cards.
10. Tools bucket – Pick out a theme – cleaning supplies, kitchen gadgets, gardening, grilling or home improvement – and create a housewarming bucket a la Martha Stewart. Create a bucket full of cleaning supplies: Sponges, scrub brushes, organic cleaners and waffle-weave cotton towels and washcloths. A kitchen-themed bucket could include a cookbook, serving spoons, spatula, tongs, a can opener and garlic press. A gardening bucket could be stuffed with gardening gloves, handheld tools, seeds and plant food Finally, a grilling bucket might have grilling tools, a monogrammed steak branding tool, a spice rub and an apron.
- Check out all our DIY articles!
What’s the best housewarming gift you’ve ever given or received?
Photo credit: Flickr / PoshSurfside.com